Original art work by K.A. M'Lady & P.M. Dittman

Welcome to the UK Staging area for Operation E-Book Drop: Free E-books for Coalition Forces

On 6th September, Ed Patterson, author of the Jade Owl Legacy Series, put up a post on KindleBoards, effectively launching Operation E-Book Drop. To date, over 250 authors have now signed up to OEBD, to offer free e-Book editions of their books to troops servings overseas in zones of conflict.

As Mark Coker of Smashwords says: 'What began as "Operation Kindle Ebook Drop" has now morphed into something much bigger - "Operation Ebook Drop," in recognition of the multiple ebook-reading devices - cell phones, Kindles, Sony Readers, laptops, etc. - people use to read ebooks.'

Here, we launch the UK contribution to OEBD, aiming to support UK and other national troops in the field with access to a broad range down-loadable books.

Please read a welcome post from Ed Patterson
And refer to the following post for participation details

Friday 20 November 2009

OEBD – A UK update… and our new Logo!

A week after my first contact with Ed Patterson, and I am proud to announce that we are making good progress in developing the UK contribution to this exciting operation. We want to extend the OEBD-word amongst the full range of coalition troops in the field, and bring to all a greater range of international authors! With some alternative spellings, of course.

We Brits offer a huge big THANK YOU for the imagination and graphic artistry of K.A. M'Lady & P.M. Dittman, courtesy of Stephanie Kelsey, COO and Editor-in-Chief at Mojocastle Press. You have excelled yourselves!

K.A. M'Lady and PM Dittman designed the original logo for OEBD and I contacted Stephanie to see if she could help out with a version that had a little bit more “British flavour”. (Flavor?) At this point, I must also thank our own British author, Shelagh Watkins, for her quick-thinking, photo-shopping, stop-gapping contribution of the Brit-ified-Eagle we have been using up to now. I am sure Shelagh joins with me in appreciating the addition of the Lion! Nice touch!

In the true spirit of cooperation that this operation represents, I believe the two logos belong side-by-side.

My concern in developing this project, for all Authors, is to offer a comparable level of validation on troop requests that Ed uses. (See Ed’s post on the kindleboard « Reply #569 on: Yesterday at 09:08:49 PM »). It has therefore been a priority for me to establish the appropriate “official” contacts within the UK military organization. I am therefore particularly pleased to announce that this action is well in hand.

I have heard, today, from my contact in the Ministry of Defence, that a senior officer has been identified to work with me in helping to develop the programme, and pushing the OEBD word out directly to the troops who will benefit the most. I hope that it will not be too long before I can announce the first successes under this initiative. However, as we all know, the military have a lot to handle at the moment, so we will be patient.

I wish you all a great weekend.

David Atkinson
OEBD UK Coordinator
(aka David Sartof)

2 comments:

  1. The UK logo version is amazing. Major props to K.A. M'Lady and PM Dittman.

    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is in the army so I know first hand that this is a brilliant idea. I would volunteer my books, but none of them are what the forces would want to read while they're away.

    ReplyDelete